Review: The Orchard by David Hopen

I found this a compelling coming-of-age dark academia novel, and I was very much in the mood for it. It was snappy, dark, and utterly page turning.

I loved how the author focused on Jewish traditions and differences between the 'factions' of Jews. I also appreciated how the cultural aspects were very intertwined into the general story itself. The characters made it super realistic and highly relatable to other teens. 

The depth of some characters was deep, and it made you understand the story a little more, whereas some characters are shallow- some of which I felt like they deserved a little more, but maybe because they intrigued me.

Overall, I enjoyed the crispy writing, and the dark nature of this title and I recommend it to those looking for a YA dark academia, or those who are fans of The Secret History or Ninth House.

Rating: 4/5
I received a copy of this title from the publisher, via Edelweiss+, in exchange for a review.

Comments