Review: Jane in Love by Rachel Givney

Ever wanted to meet an old-time author? How about meeting someone who’s time-traveled? Looking for a contemporary romance with a science fiction twist? Jane in Love by Rachel Givney has all three! 

A twenty-eight year old Jane Austen finds herself in twenty-first century London, and is quite frankly lost, with the only thing she knows is that she was sent here by a witch. Luckily, she finds herself in good company of an actress of an upcoming Jane Austen-based film, Sofia Wentworth, after she was spotted in a pile of curtains. Not that Jane herself knew what she meant at the time by the actress saying that her name was associated with books, given she didn’t know that she was much of an author. That is, until she finds one of her books in the classics section of a bookshop.

The reactions that Jane is given when this happens seems so natural and just right, given that someone from the nineteenth century couldn’t even begin to imagine the types of technology present in the future world. Even electricity was such a novelty with her, it was amusing to read! Having the descriptions of modern technology told to her, Jane was absolutely mesmerised and curious, and honestly I really couldn’t blame her because if I was in her situation, I would be too!

I also adored the caring nature of Fred, school teacher and Sofia’s brother, and the dynamic between the siblings. The dialogue between the two flowed and I generally enjoyed it! I also loved the differences in the type of language used from the Wentworth siblings and Jane, and it showed just how the language and expressions have evolved over time. I had to giggle over  how Fred was also kind of super oblivious to the fact that Jane was in fact THE Jane Austen, famous writer. The development of these characters and their relationships really hit that soft spot for me, and it really made me interested in the story, making it unputdownable at so many points.

Givney excelled in giving Jane a dilemma- learn more about the future and stay, or find a way to leave the future. It was good to see that both of these options had their own consequences, with one meaning that she goes loveless, and the other means that her works will disappear. I quite liked the disappearing element, and I could just visualise books just turning into dust in front of me, which caused me great in-head visual pain (because I don’t want books disappearing)! It was interesting to read what her choices were because if I were to be honest or not going to tell little white lies, I'd probably do the same too.

The pacing was brilliant for this storyline, and I felt like the plot was well thought-out and wonderfully executed. The scenes, the characters, and the general book atmosphere consistently left me wanting more- something that I absolutely crave for in books. Honestly, I just loved it all- and it was definitely a big distraction from all the doom and gloom going on in the world at the moment.

Whilst this book won’t be for the Jane Austen purists, the modern versus old-time living and perspectives meld extremely well in this book, and it was honestly a thoroughly enjoyable read. I’d recommend it for anyone needing a thought-provoking, but rather light read with a splash of romance and time travel.

Rating: 4/5

Comments